[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Composting/curriculum

Sonia--

These materials are not specifically about composting but might give
you ideas on/models for translating sustag information into K-12
curriculum materials.

The Center for Integrated Ag Systems (UW Madison) published a
teacher's guide and supplement for K-12 sustag education which
includes a learning activity about composting and background info
for teachers on that topic. The guide, "Toward a Sustainable
Agriculture," is available for $10; the resources supplement is free
with purchase of the guide.  The guide includes a teacher reference
section (intro to sustag, sustainable cropping and livestock systems,
alternative ag enterprises, public policy issues, ethics and ag), an
instructional unit, and suggested activities.  The resources
supplement is an annotated bibliography.

These are available from CIAS.  Call (608) 262-5200; ask for Selma.
Or send e-mail to:     troyanoski@ae.agecon.wisc.edu

The Wisconsin Rural Development Center has a set of interdisciplinary
lessons for sustag instruction called "Lessons for Teaching
Sustainable Agriculture."  Very nicely produced.  Call WRDC: (608)
437-5971.  I don't know the price on that.

The Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction has long had an extensive,
nationally recognized, and well-awarded K-12 curriculum/teaching
materials publishing program.  Good models for anyone doing K-12
curriculum.  Call them for a catalogue:  (800) 243-8782.

Michele

Michele Gale-Sinex

Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
Agricultural Technology and Family Farm Institute
UW-Madison--Voice: (608) 262-8018   FAX: (608) 265-3020

I don't play cards, I don't play golf, and I don't go to
the picture show. All that's left is baseball.--Casey Stengel

Article 2368 of bionet.plants: