                      P A N U P S
                          ***
                Pesticide Action Network
                     North America
                    Updates Service
         =====================================

Resource Pointer #62

January 4, 1996

For copies of the following resources, please contact the
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
                         ***

*PANNA Job Announcement -- Latin America Coordinator.* Latin
America Coordinator is responsible for program planning,
implementation and evaluation relating to Latin American
campaigns and projects; collaboration with Latin American
NGOs; securing grants for work in the region and assisting
NGOs in capacity building. Required qualifications include
strong analytical, organizing, research, writing and editing
and political skills. He/she must have supervisory and
program oversight experience; a record of success in raising
funds from foundations and/or agencies; appreciation of and
experience with diverse cultures; and fluency in English and
Spanish. Contact PANNA for complete job description before
January 31, 1996.

*Return to Resistance: Breeding Crops to Reduce Pesticide
Dependence, 1995.* Raoul Robinson. Investigates potential of
breeding pest and disease resistant crops for pesticide use
reduction. Provides overview of genetics, host-parasite
relationships and crop breeding techniques and discusses
examples of successful breeding programs, including maize in
tropical Africa, potatoes in Mexico, and coffee and sugarcane
internationally. Examines ways to promote breeding programs
and improve breeding techniques, and includes discussion of
Green Revolution's problems in terms of crop breeding and
pesticide use. 480 pp. US$29.95 plus US$4 shipping. Contact
AgAccess for shipping costs outside of U.S. AgAccess, 603
Fourth Street, Davis, CA 95616; phone (916) 756-7177; fax
(916) 756-7188; email agaccess@davis.com.

*Hormone Copy-Cats, 1995.* (Video). World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
Canada. 24 minute film presents overview of synthetic-
chemical induced endocrine disruption, featuring WWF Senior
Scientist Dr. Theo Colburn. Describes pesticides known to
interfere with natural hormone balance and stresses lack of
regulatory framework for addressing endocrine disruption
problems. Discusses studies of hormone related problems in
North American Great Lakes' wildlife and Lake Opopka, Florida
alligators. No charge for one month loan; Canada$10 for
purchase. WWF, 90 Eglinton Avenue, East, Suite 504, Toronto,
ON, M4P 2Z7, Canada; phone (416) 489-8800; fax (416) 489-
3611.

*Pesticide Reduction: Economic Instruments, 1995.* World
Wildlife Fund (WWF) International. Examines pesticide use
reduction potential of national and international economic
tools, including taxes, deposit-refund systems, regulatory
incentives and insurance. Discusses existing pesticide
reduction programs, stressing that successful policies
involve clear, measurable targets for reduction over
specified time periods, and that targets should be set in
consultation with labor, consumer and environmental advocacy
groups, as well as with pesticide users, manufacturers and
distributors. 38 pp. WWF International, Avenue de Mont-Blanc,
CH-1196 Gland, Switzerland; phone (41-22) 364-9111; fax (41-
22) 364-5358.

*Ecology and Integrated Farming Systems, 1995.* D.M. Glen,
M.P. Greaves and H.M. Anderson, eds. Investigates ecological
principles and practice of agricultural systems that
integrate crop production with ecologically sound pest
control and wildlife and biodiversity conservation. Includes
studies of weed control in organic farming systems,
ecological theory in biologically-based pest control,
landscape ecology of insect movement and development of
nutrient management on organic farms. Focuses on North
America and Europe, and includes overview of European
Community environmental and agricultural policies. 329 pp.
US$95. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1 Wiley Drive, Somerset, NJ
08875; phone (908) 469-4400; fax (908) 302-2300.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed in
the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address
listed below) or to contact Information Program Associates
Adam Kirshner or Gina Schilling for further information.