[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[ANSWER] Book of Vietnamese plants

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question "Is there a field
guide to Vietnamese plants?"  The short answer is: NO

No one seemed entirely sure whether May / early June is mango
season or slightly too early, so I shall hope!  (And console myself
with all the other lovely fruit; Rambutan, Durian ...  YUM YUM)

Cheers, Anna ;-)

 *********************** STOP READING NOW *************************
 ***** if you are not interested in books of Vietnamese plants ****

One suggestion was a series of books by Pham Hoang Ho called 'Cayco
Vietnam'.  6 volumes so far, each costing $50.  A little large for
my rucksack!
Publisher:	Koeltz Scientific Books USA
		www.prairienet.org/business/koeltz/homepage.htm
		email xx143@prairienet.org (Pamela Burns-Balogh)
		BBS 217-355-4532
		phone 217-355-9331

Another suggestion is the Collins Guide to Tropical Plants, but that
only covers cultivated plants, like banana and papaya.

The most likely choice for me is 'Flowering Plants of Thailand' by
Patrick D. McMakin.  Mike Lock says that it is 'A nice little book
with lots of colour photos'.  Thailand and Vietnam are not too far
apart, so I hope that they have many of the same plants.

My local bookshop could order it, but I decided to speed things up
by phoning the publisher in Bangkok myself.  Details are:
	White Lotus Co. Ltd.
	P.O. Box 1141
	Bangkok
	Thailand
	FAX:   006622131175
	PHONE: 006622861100
The book cost 695 Baht plus 218 Baht postage, which I paid by
bankers draft.  (I guess that is about $30 US which seemed very
reasonable to me.) I recommend you to use fax rather than phone,
unless you speak Thai.  If all goes well, I will receive the book
in about two weeks...

Mike Lock also recommends a visit to the Government bookshop in
Saigon, to see if there are any books which are produced locally,
but not exported.

------

         ~~ Anna Kettle                         Kettle Networks Ltd
 |"""|  ~          8 Somerset Road, Bristol, BS4 2HU, England
 / ^ \//    Computer network consultancy, installation and training
|_____|     Anna@altern8.demon.co.uk          +44 (0)117  971  7518