[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Agroecology text ideas?

>I'll be teaching a course in "Ecology of Agriculture" next semester, and
>I'm still looking for a good textbook.  It is a graduate-level course,
>designed for students who may have little background in ecology or
>agricultural sciences.  Here's a short description of what I plan to cover:
>
>This course will deal with the biological and physical attributes of
>agricultural systems in temperate and tropical regions, and basic
>ecological principles affecting agricultural processes.  We will address
>the ecological consequences of indigenous food production systems,
>industrialized agricultural systems, and "alternative" systems
>incorporating biological and cultural nutrient management and pest
>control.  Students will work with several decision cases through the
>semester that integrate their understanding of concepts.
>
>Does anyone have ideas of a good text?  Thanks for suggestions!
>
>Molly D. Anderson
>Director, Degree Program in Agriculture, Food and Environment
>Tufts University School of Nutrition Science and Policy
>Medford, MA  02155
>Ph:  617/627-3223
>Fax:  617/627-3887

Dear Molly,

I have taught a similar course at Humboldt State University, although we
also emphasised the students understanding of sustainable methods in soil
management, examining small scale french intensive methods, understanding
the nutrient cycle in slash/burn agriculture and examining field scale,
tractor tools and their implications on soil management.  Books that I have
found helpful include:

1. Agroecology, by Miguel Altieri  (a bit dry, but a good look at a variety
of ag systems)
2. How to Grow More Vegetables..., by John Jeavons  (more of a how-to book
about French Intensive methods, but this book is recognized world wide)
3. One Straw Revolution, by Masanoba Fukuoka ( this gets them thinking)
4. Meeting the Expectations of the Land, by a variety of authors including
Wendell Berry and Wes Jackson
5. Unsettling of America..., by Wendell Berry (he is always thought producing)
6. Soul of Soil, by Grace Gershuny (and another author I can't recall right
now) - this is a great little inexpensive soil biology and chemistry primer.>

Good Luck! If you find any other gem books, drop me a line.

Susan Toms
Agriculture and Natural Resource/Youth Development
U.C. Cooperative Extension