[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Agroecology texts

Hello,

This is a response to the request for agroecology text info :
Already mentioned by A. Clarke, I have found "Crop Ecology" by Loomis and
Connor to be an excellent reference text. This book does not promote
low-input
agriculture... it does however contain the best sysnthesis of crop
physiology, soil science, water relations, energy analysis, systems analysis
that I have seen in any one book.

The institution where I was employed last year, Hampshire College, Amherst,
MA, teaches several undergraduate agroecology classes. My recollection is
that these classes use several texts as well as many handouts.

Miguel Alteri is the author of a text used at Hampshire that I believe is
titled "Agroecology" which covers low-inout indigenous agriculture.

Farmer/author Jim Bender has written a book that I believe is titled Future
Harvest which is the best presentation of an alternative midwest agriculture
system that I have seen. This book is very applied. It details step by step
Benders farming practices and how they integrate into a system. He also
explains very rationally why he has chosen the practices that he uses over
more conventional methods.

The new Planting the Future ? book comparing north west agricultural systems
(Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Dakotas...) from a sustainability
perspective is also good...

The Agroecology class at Hampshire that I was most closely connected with
had an IPM emphasis because the prof was an entomologist. The class included
tours of several local farms including the Hampshire farm. All students had
to complete and present group projects.

I loaned an excellent book on low input sustainable tropical ag to a student
in this class and never saw it again. I purchased this book from agAcess and
it was published in  the Netherlands about 2-3 years ago.  Any ideas what
the name of this book might have been  ?

Personally I feel the integration of animals and crops should be emphasized
in any agroecology class.  I gave a lecture to the above mentioned class on
this subject.
I think the ecology of sustainable animal ag. is perhaps the most
misunderstood topic among today's "environmentally conscious" . I can share
a paper I wrote on this subject with anyone interested as well as a list of
good resources on sustainable animal agriculture. If you want this info send
me a personal request at
gruverj@css.orst.edu.

Joel Gruver
Oregon State University