http://www.vegan.org/
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden

Title: Vegan Action Homepage

Vegan Action

Join Us!

and become an active part of the vegan movement.

Home | News | Info | Catalog | Campaigns | Join

What's Hot:

What Is Veganism?

A vegan (pronounced VEE-gun) is someone who does not consume animal products. While vegetarians avoid flesh foods, vegans also reject the exploitation and abuse inherent in the making of dairy and egg products, as well as in clothing from animal sources. While leading a purely vegan life may be difficult for many, those who strive towards this goal can consider themselves to be practicing vegans.

Here are some of the items vegans avoid: meat, milk, cheese, eggs, fur, leather, wool, down, and cosmetics and chemical products tested on animals.

Why Vegan?

Veganism, the natural extension of vegetarianism, is an integral component of a cruelty-free lifestyle. Living vegan provides numerous benefits: to animals and the quality of their lives, to the ecological integrity of our environment, and to ourselves, by protecting our bodies from the dietary problems associated with consumption of animal products.

Animals

The meat and dairy industry causes billions of chickens, cows, and other animals untold suffering in producing milk and egg products each year. The animals suffer unspeakable cruelties in order to maximize their output of milk and eggs. Most live their short lives caged, drugged, mutilated, and deprived. Today's farms are not like the ones most of us learned about in school; they are mechanized factories where animal welfare is of less concern than profit. Veganism emerges as the lifestyle most consistent with the philosophy that animals are not ours to use.

Environment

Animal agriculture takes a devastating toll on the earth. It is an inefficient way of producing food, which squanders the vast majority of all grain grown in the U.S., as well as much of our water. This increased dependence on high yields exacerbates the problem of topsoil erosion on our farmlands, rendering land less and less productive for crop cultivation, and forcing the conversion of wilderness lands to grazing and farm lands. Animal waste is a disposal problem on today's massive feedlots and factory farms, poisoning groundwater and rivers; and the disastrous effects of cattle ranching have degraded thousands of acres in every western state.

Health

Consumption of animal fats and proteins has been linked to heart disease, colon and breast cancer, osteoporosis, diabeties, and a whole host of other debilitating conditions. Vegan foods, such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans, are low in fat, especially saturated fat, contain no cholesterol, and are rich in fiber and nutrients. Plus, vegans get the perfect amount of protein. Cows' milk contains ideal amounts of fat and protein for young calves, but far too much for humans! Eating eggs may be the surest way to get a heart attack, as they are higher in cholesterol than any other food.

What is Vegan Action?

Vegan Action is a nonprofit, tax-exempt educational membership organization. Our mission is to enhance public awareness about the many benefits of a vegan diet and lifestyle, and to work to improve the availability of vegan foods.

Vegan Action uses the Internet as a means of distributing and obtaining accurate, current information, as well as distributing our newsletter and announcements. You can reach Vegan Action electronically at: info@vegan.org

Home | News | Info | Catalog | Campaigns | Join

PO Box 4353 Berkeley, CA 94704 Phone: (510) 654-6297

The Vegan Action web pages are served by Virtual Sites
Please send comments or suggestions for these web pages and bug reports to va-www-suggest@vegan.org and va-www-bug@vegan.org, respectively. (Please do not send questions to these addresses; queries should be directed to info@vegan.org instead.)