[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Madison Quote

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Joey Senat wrote:
> I wanted to point out, however, that Madison wasn't talking about
> "information" in the way we think of it. See "Madison Misinterpreted:
> Historical Presentism Skews Scholarship" by Paul H. Gates Jr. and Bill
> Chamberlin (American Journalism, Winter 1996, 38).
> They explain that Madison was arguing for widespread public education, not
> access to government information. Which is too bad, of course, because it's
> a great quote.
	even with the context that you mention it makes a great quote -
and it is still applicable to issues of information access and use. after
all, how useful is an education with no information content......
(and how useful is information with no basis for understanding it....)

	cheers,
	christopher

Christopher Gwyn
gwync@ruby.ils.unc.edu