[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Internet information and libraries

University of Rochester (NY) has come up with an exciting beginning of
merging traditional information resources and Internet technology for
research.

"U. OF ROCHESTER INCLUDES WEB SITES IN LIBRARY CARD CATALOGUE
The University of Rochester has developed a next-generation information
catalogue, which includes not only the volumes housed in the
university's
library, but also journal citations, information from full-text
databases,
and links to Web sites.  The Voyager system, which runs on PCs wired to
the
Internet, also includes the table of contents for about 30,000 books --
useful for tracking down a specific poem, for instance.  "We wanted to
remove barriers to access to information so that someone doesn't have to
worry about, 'Is this a book or is this a database?'," says the
library's
acting head of reference.  (Chronicle of Higher Education 28 Mar 97)"

Their Database section mostly references databases which are either
library use only or available via "first search", but there are some
links to Web resources for some great database information sources, such
as: US patent applications or "Compendex Plus Ei Village  (Indexes and
abstracts engineering and technology literature worldwide.)

The URL for the catalog is: http://groucho.lib.rochester.edu/  It links
up to electronic journals and web sites both
Title: Univ. of Rochester Libraries - Voyager System
University of Rochester Libraries Voyager System

| Local Catalog | Other Libraries | Databases | Library Information |
| Electronic Journals | Patron Information | Help |

Copyright © 1997, University of Rochester Libraries
Please send your comments to Webmaster
Last updated January 17, 1997
http://groucho.lib.rochester.edu/