[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

looking for hypersaline, high temp fluids (fwd)

Sender: Wayne Woods <wgwoods@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Subject: WSN: looking for hypersaline, high temp fluids

Hello,
I am a microbiologist working on the archaea -microbes which live in
hypersaline or high temperature environs. So far no microbes have been isolated
from an environment which is *both* high temperature *and* hypersaline.

Does anyone know of occurrences of fluids that are both high temperature:
60 - 150 degrees C, and hypersaline: above 150 000 mg/l TDS, up to saturation?

All the natural springs that I know of are either too cool, or too low in salt.
The oilfield water I have investigated is the right salinity, but far too hot
for life (>300 deg C!).

Any knowledge of such fluids, or databases where I might be able to search
for water of the right consistency would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne Woods
Department of Microbiology, The University of Melbourne
Parkville, Victoria 3052. Australia
wgwoods@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
tel: 61-3-344-5711; fax: 61-3-347-1540