[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: WSN: effective hydrophobic forces (fwd)

Sender: stoutepf@chemsci1.es.dupont.com (Pieter Stouten)
Subject: Re: WSN: effective hydrophobic forces

Hi David,

>I am trying to develop a good model for the hydrophobic
>potential of mean force between apolar things in water.
>I intend to use this to approximate the effective hydrophobic
>forces between hydrophobic amino acid residues for protein
>structure prediction.

We have developed a solvation model based on accessible volumes
rather than surface areas which is very fast (about six times
faster than the fastest surface area approach) which as far
as I can deduce from your question does exactly what you want.

Relevant papers are:
* P.F.W. Stouten, C. Froemmel, H. Nakamura & C. Sander, "An Effective
  Solvation Term Based on Atomic Occupancies for Use in Protein
  Simulations," Mol. Simulation 10 (1993) 97-120.
* B.A. Luty, M. Zacharias, Z.R. Wasserman, P.F.W. Stouten, C.N. Hodge &
  J.A. McCammon, "Estimating Receptor-Ligand Interaction Energies Using
  a Combined Molecular Mechanics/Grid Method." Will be submitted to
  J. Comp. Chem. soon.

Just let me know if you want a reprint of the Mol. Sim. paper.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Pieter.

Pieter Stouten, Senior Research Scientist    ||
Computer Aided Drug Design Group             ||
The Du Pont Merck Pharmaceutical Company     ||    Adventures get spoiled
P.O. Box 80353, Wilmington, DE 19880-0353    ||   by being reduced to data
Phone: +1 (302) 695 3515                     ||             --
ARA/Fax: +1 (302) 695 4324                   ||        Poul Anderson
E-mail: stoutepf@chemsci1.es.dupont.com      ||
Internet Shogi Server: kzinti                ||