[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

pH immediately at mineral surfaces (fwd)

Sender: dbiddle@waite.adelaide.edu.au (Dean Biddle)
Subject: WSN: pH immediately at mineral surfaces

I am after comments or pointers to references dealing with the
theoretical pH at mineral surfaces in aqueous solutions.

The archaic method of abrasion pH derives a basic pH for most
alumino-silicates.  The following question arises:

Is the theoretical aqueous layer at the surface of minerals
acidic, neutral or basic.

If we assume the layer to be basic, how do protons move
through this layer from solution to the surface of the mineral
to break bounds?  Wouldn't they be neutralised with hydroxyl
ions?

I am particularly interested in models and experimental
evidence derived from metal corrosion science.

ZDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3                      Dean L. Biddle                        3
3  Research Interests: low temperature water-rock reactions  3
3                   & Mineral Stability                      3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY