[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Debye formula (fwd)

Sender: dongqing@CERCA.UMontreal.CA
Subject: WSN: The Debye formula

 Hello,

   It is known there is a sigular point in the Debye formula where
the dielectric catastrophe occures. Physically it means that the dipoles
undergo spontaneous polarization to form orientationally ordered
phase. Such a spontaneous polarization is found for strongly interacting
dipolar liquid("Orientational order in simple dipolar liquids:
Computer simulation of a ferroelectric nematic phase", Phys. Rev. Letter,
68, 2043,1992). However the fact Debye formula has such a sigular point
does not mean it gives good account of the dielectric constant of
dense liquids. The Onsager and Kirkwood formula are considered as improvement
of the Debye formula. I think Bruce's message gave very good account of
the development.

I'd like to add to:
>Perhaps someone who has actually done such simulations, or experiments
>that probe g() directly, can give you more information.

>-- Bruce

>Bruce_Bush@merck.com  (908) 594-6758

Recently Kusalik has done very detailed analysis of g(k).
Interested please refer to the following references
Molec. Phys., 73, 1349, JCP, 93, 3520.

Thanks for your attention.

Dongqing Wei.