[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

WSN: Gordon Conf. on Water and Aqueous Solutions. Final Program

From: Adrian Parsegian <VAP@CU.NIH.GOV>

   ==
   Gordon Research Conference
   Physics and Chemistry of Water and Aqueous Solutions

Chair: V. Adrian Parsegian
Co-Chair: George Walrafen

August 7 through 12, 1994
Holderness School
Plymouth, New Hampshire

PROGRAM

Mon AM  "Metastable States of Liquid Water"
   Chair: H. E. Stanley `ground zero' mini-review (20 min + 10 min discussion)
  Speakers: (@ 20 min + 10 min disc)
   P. Poole
   F. Sciortino
   K. Ludwig
   P. Debenedetti

Mon PM  "Water in Confined Geometries"
   Chair: S.H. Chen,  overview (20 + 10 min)
  Speaker: M-C. Bellissent-Funel (30 min + 15 min disc)

   Plenary Poster Session #1, Organizer: G. Walrafen (80 minutes)
N.B.: Posters on view at all times from Sunday p.m. to Friday morning

=====

Tues AM  "Glassy States"
   Chair, C. A. Angell   mini-review (20 + 10 min)
  Speakers: (@ 20 min + 10 min disc)
   R.J. Speedy
   P. Devlin
   D. Klug
   A. Hallbrucker

Tues PM "Clathrates and Clusters"
   Chair, Dendy Sloan  overview  (20 + 10 min)
  Speaker: J. Ripmeester (30 + 15)

   Plenary Poster Session #2 (80 minutes),

=====

Wed AM  "Hydrophobia, Water Stressed by Non-polar Materials"
   Chair, L. Pratt  ground-zero mini-review (20 + 10)
  Speakers: (@20 + 10)
   P. Rossky
   D. Smith
   M. Paulaitis
   B. Honig

Wed PM  "Solutions at Non-polar Interfaces"
   Chair: A. Pohorille -- overview (20 + 10)
  Speakers: (@30 + 15)
   R.K.Thomas: neutron reflection from water/air interfaces
   P. Kekicheff: forces between non-polar surfaces

=====

Thurs AM "Water Near Biological Macromolecules"
   Chair, R. P. Rand, mini-review  (20 + 10)
  Speakers: (@ 30 + 15)
   S. Leikin: protein solvation forces
   K. Wuthrich: nmr probe of water near proteins
   W. Doster: neutron scattering of proximal water

Thurs PM  "Ice in Outer Space"      Chair: A. Parsegian
  Speaker: L. Allamandola

=====

Fri AM  "The Stress of the Real World: New Directions for Water Research"
   Chair: P. Caro, overview (20 min)
  Speakers: (@ 30 + 15)
   P. Wiggins: water in biological cells
   S. Buelow: hydrothermal processing of wastes
   H. Levine/L.Slade: food preservation

 1994 Gordon Research Conference
   Water and Aqueous Solutions

 What We Did and Why We Did It:
      Scheme of the Meeting

 The theme of this Conference is Water under Stress

The subject and the meeting needed enlivening,
    a new dialog between those who address old but pressing questions
  and those who are concerned with new systems and new problems.

We're trying a slightly modified format.
    The first goal is to keep everyone thinking together, from Monday through
Friday.  We'll use Gene Stanley's idea of a `ground-zero mini-review' for
each session, an attempt to outline for newcomers the status of a field
or problem area and to delineate the outstanding questions or features that
will be debated or described in the formal talks plus discussion.
    No one should feel left out or shy to ask even "so-what?" questions.

We've boosted posters.
    This was partly defensive.  The toughest thing organizing this meeting
was to pick out the right topics from the hundreds of ideas generously
presented to us.  We could have had three or four good conferences out of
those wonderful ideas.  We hope that they will be given some view and
some voice at the plenary poster sessions and the conversations that go
on also at other times and places.

    It was also to encourage recognition of new areas that should show
up on the formal program next time.

    We've stretched the length scale from the smallest pauci-molecular
cavities to the outer reaches of the universe.

    The first couple of days will be used to focus on pure water --
stressed by temperature, pressure, confinement, nucleating centers, ...

    By Wednesday we'll be talking about water around non-polar molecules
or at non-polar surfaces, large and small-scale hydrophobia, water and
solution ordering by intrusive incompatible materials.

    Thursday morning, proteins, the influence of their intricate
nanometer-scale design on supporting solvent and vice versa.

    Thursday night, the other end of the length scale, ice in farthest space.

    Finally, the stress of the real world, three very different kinds of
systems.

     Adrian Parsegian
     George Walrafen

    ====================

 Useful numbers:

   Gordon Research Conferences  (application forms, formalities)
   University of Rhode Island
   P.O.Box 984
   West Kingston, RI  02892-0984   U.S.A.

      (401) 783-4011 or -3372