[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

high field dielectric behaviour of water (fwd)

Sender: huinink@FenK.WAU.NL
Subject: WSN: high field dielectric behaviour of water

It is believed that the dielectric constant of water decreases monotone
with the field strength, thus normal saturation. This seems general
accepted, but why? The structure of liquid water differs a lot from the
structure of a dipolar liquid. I'm really suprised that water shows no
anomalous saturation behaviour, as far as this is confirmed by experiments.

question I:    What is the physical reason for this unexpected normal
behaviour?

Till now I've seen only one experiment about non-linear dielectric
behaviour of water (Kolodziej et al., 1975) in the literature.  They
measure a normal quadratic saturation behaviour. In fact the measured
saturation is still very low (0.1 %).

question II:   Has anybody more references about this subject?

question III:  Is extrapolation of these results to higher field strength
(10 8 V/m) allowed?

I ask this questions because I've calculated with a statistical
thermodynamical lattice model for water. With this model I've predict
strange saturation behaviour, a maximum in the saturation curve. The low
field dielectric behaviour (even as a function of the temperature) has
been predicted rather well. I think that maximum arises as a consequence
of the strong hydrogen bonding in the water model. The questions are now:
(1) Is the predicted saturation behaviour right?
(2) If not, why is the low field prediction so good?

Already thanks for all your comments,

Henk.