[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On-line turbidimeters vs benchtop (fwd)

Sender: Al Airone <71150.3415@compuserve.com>
Subject: WSN: On-line turbidimeters vs benchtop

We recently began using some on-line turbidimeters (Great Lakes Instruments)
and noticed that they routinely show higher readings (by ca. 0.5-0.6 NTU) than
concurrent manual grab samples read on a Hach 2100A turbidimeter. Has anyone
encountered a similar bias, or have any thoughts as to the reason? We suspected
air bubbles as a possible cause: concurrent particle counts showed particle
sizes < 10 microns, and we have been told that air does not show up at size
levels below 10 microns. Can anyone confirm this size characteristic for air
bubbles? Thanks.