Phil. 2:12, SWTHRIA KATERGAZOMAI

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 05 May 1996 07:26:40 -0400

David Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> Relative to the passage in Philippians 2:12: SWTHRIOS may have a temporal,
>practical meaning here. Paul seems to be calling the church to put into practice the
>attitude of Christ outlined in vv. 5-11. By applying this attitude to problems of
>interpersonal relations within the congregation, together, they are to attain the well
>being desire. The phrase following, in v. 13, further explains the means, indicating
>it is the power of God working in them that will bring this about.--

Although the above was originally posted under the subject of 1Cor. 1:18, I am
heading it now under Phil. 2:12 so that if there are any further comments, they may be
archived under the latter heading.

Since no one has mentioned it, allow me to point out that the word in Phil. 2:12
is SWTHRIA, not SWTHRIOS. I looked up the lexical form and wrote the wrong one down; I
must be more careful.

Upon looking in the lexicon under SWTHRIA, I came across a citation that seems
very interesting in relation to this verse. It is an instance of the use of SWTHRIA and
KATERGAZOMAI in a construction which is apparently similar to the one we have here. The
citation given is Euripedes, _Heraclidae_, 1045. Without a Greek copy of this work, I
can only cite that L&S quotes it as S[WTHRIAN] KATERGASASQAI. Although Euripedes is not
Hellenistic Greek, it might be worthwhile to know the context of this phrase if anyone
with a Greek copy of Euripedes might be kind enough to comment.

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish District
http://www.netcom.com/~dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God