Re: Rom 5:1

Eugene Baker (ekbaker@essex1.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 19:08:54 -0500

At 12:07 PM 8/2/96 -0700, you wrote:
>As to what the translations do with Rom 5:1, it is true that the NASB goes
>with the indicative. In the '95 Update, I reluctantly went along with keeping
>the indicative because it is usually bad practice be the only version with a
>particular reading, but if that were not a consideration I would have insisted
>(and very possibly would have been outvoted) in changing to a hortatory sub-
>unctive (e.g. "let us have").
>
>Don Wilkins
>UC Riverside

The New English Bible (which isn't so new anymore: Oxford, 1970) does
render the subjunctive: "let us continue at peace with God . . ." while
acknowledging the variant in a footnote. In the past I wondered just why
the other versions translated the subjunctive as an indicative, and assumed
that there was a compelling reason for their doing so.

Gene Baker