Re: Mark 6:43

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:18:58 -0400

At 09:26 8/20/96 +0400, Carlton L. Winbery wrote:
>I'd rather deal with Mt. 14:20b, HRAN TO PERISSEUON TWN KLASMATWN DWDEKA
>KOFINOUS PLHREIS. "They took up the remainder of the scraps, twelve
>baskets full." TO PERISSEUON is a pres. ptc. neut. = that which remains
>and is here the dir. object of the verb HRAN. TWN KLASMATWN is the
>partitive genitive (or as someone on this list calls it, the genitive of
>the whole). DWDEKA KOFINOUS PLHREIS is accusative in apposition to TO
>PERISSEUON.
>
>I'd be hard pressed to explain Mark if he knew the text of Matt, but it is
>easy to explain Matt if he had the text of Mark.

While I have my doubts over the applicability of text critical principles
to a source critical problem, because the Evangelists were more than mere
copyists, this example clearly shows how the critical text is superior to
the Byzantine text because it exhibits the harder reading. In addition,
it seems probable that the text of Mark would assimilate to the more
popular Matthew:

Mk 6:43 KAI HRAN KLASMATA DWDEKA KOFINWN PLHRWMATA (NA)
Mk 6:43 KAI HRAN KLASMATWN DWDEKA KOFINOUS PLHREIS (Byz)
Mt14:20 KAI HRAN TO PERISSEUON TWN KLASMATWN DWDEKA KOFINOUS PLHREIS (Both)

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.