Re: MOI use of dative in John 10:37

Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:02:22
>To: brennanp@cts.com
>From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net>
>Subject: Re: MOI use of dative in John 10:37
>
>Dear Patrick:
>
>Certain verbs (verbs of worship, service, thanksgiving, obedience, etc.)
take their direct object in the dative case. Some grammarians distinguish
_PISTUEW_ with a dative (intellectual assent) from _ PISTUEW_ followed by
_EIS_ and the accusative case (trust, commitment, and allegiance), but his
does not seem to always hold true (e.g. John 2:23ff; 12:42ff) and (Acts
16:34; Gal 3:6)

>At 10:51 AM 8/27/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>I am learning greek on my own and I appreciate this list for the service it
>>provides to people like myself who have no other means of asking
questions. It is
>>exciting to be personally challenged by this list and I am grateful to
those of you
>>who take the time to answer questions that may be less than challenging for
>>themselves.
>>
>>In John 10:37 I wonder why the dative MOI is used instead of the
accusative ME.

>>EI OU POIW TA ERGA TOU PATROS MOU, MH PISTEUETE MOI
>>
>>Also, I see the last phrase MH PISTEUETE MOI translated as:
>>do not believe me.
>>
>>Could it be translated:
>>do not believe IN me?
>>
>>I am interested primarily in why the dative was used and what range of
meanings
>>the dative MOI carries.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>*************************