Re: prepositions with kai

T & J Peterson (spedrson@erols.com)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:08:10 -0700

T & J Peterson wrote:

> I'm working on a study of John 3:5 and pursuing an investigation of the
> grammatical structure in "ex hudotos kai pneumatos." I've read the
> suggestion that the preposition followed by two anarthrous nouns, joined
> with a kai, indicates a particular relationship (albeit without the
> strength of the GS rule). I cannot, however, find anything substantially
> defending that this construction does in fact show a grammatical tie
> between the two nouns, and I don't have access to the software to search
> for other examples. Any ideas?

I would like to thank Mr. Greiner for his assistance in sending me the
list of references for ek . . . noun . . . kai . . . noun. It turned out
to be greatly inflated by the necessarily loose structure of the inquiry.
I really don't see any way around it, though, since adjectives can come
into the picture without really impacting the thrust of the structure.
Other than that, I've seen generally skeptical responses at best. I
can't particularly blame anyone, though. I really didn't have much to go
on when I began this, and I scarcely have more now.