Re: Mark's Greek

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:06:07 -0400

At 12:32 10/16/96 -0400, David L. Moore wrote:
>At 07:58 AM 10/16/96 -0400, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
>>Now, as for a place which is not nicely written (from a grammatical
>>perspective), and one which has been bothering me, is Mk16:6
>>
>>...: IDE hO TOPOS hOPOU EQHKAN AUTON.
>>
>>We have IDE, singular, apparently spoken to three women (the imperative
>>in v7 is plural).
>
> How about, "Behold: the place where they laid Him." The IDE in
>singular may correspond to a Semitic idiom. _Hinneh_ is used as a particle
>of interjection in Hebrew and from what I could gather, is unconjugated (See
>Gen. 19:2, for instance.) - although it may take plural pronouns in
>accusative to indicate phrases like "behold us," "behold them." Often,
>however, it is used absolutely as the Gk word IDE in this passage.

Hmm. I would expect the more common IDOU to be used instead. Perhaps
the command was intended only for Mary Magdalene, even though the other
women were present in the tomb (v5) and addressed to (v6), with plural
imperatives used both before and after.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.