Pronouncing Jowett

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:59:45 -600 (CST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Edward Hobbs wrote:

> From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 30-OCT-1996 10:47:06.74
> To: IN%"jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu"
> CC: EHOBBS
> Subj: RE: Pronouncing Liddell
>
> Next on the docket will be the
> > mispronunciation of the old Oxford master, Benjamin Jowett (most famed for
> > his [mis]translations of Plato). (Anyone know the grafitto about his name?)
> >
> > Edward Hobbs
> > Wellesley
>
> Jeffrey Gibson responded:
>
> I believe the grafitto runs something like:
>
> My name is Benjamin Jowett.
> I'm master of Baliol College.
> I know everything that there is to know
> and what I don't know isn't knowledge.
On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Edward Hobbs wrote:

> From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 30-OCT-1996 10:47:06.74
> To: IN%"jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu"
> CC: EHOBBS
> Subj: RE: Pronouncing Liddell
>
> Next on the docket will be the
> > mispronunciation of the old Oxford master, Benjamin Jowett (most famed for
> > his [mis]translations of Plato). (Anyone know the grafitto about his name?)
> >
> > Edward Hobbs
> > Wellesley
>
> Jeffrey Gibson responded:
>
> I believe the grafitto runs something like:
>
> My name is Benjamin Jowett.
> I'm master of Baliol College.
> I know everything that there is to know
> and what I don't know isn't knowledge.
>
> Not NT Greek indeed. But Oxford lore and therefore (tangentally) related.

> Delightful! The version I heard and learned had a different third line,
> which was in fact emphasized as a major clue to how his name was pronounced
> at Oxford. It went:
>
> My name is Benjamin Jowett;
> I'm master of Balliol College.
> If there's ought to know, I know it,
> And what I don't know isn't knowledge.
>
> This was often quoted as a correction to Americans who insisted on calling
> him JOWett, rhyming with HOW-it, whereas his name was JOE-ett, long O.
> But here we are doing FormCriticism, while on the Biblical Greek List.
> I slap my own fingers for that.
>
> Edward Hobbs

If I am allowed to make one more form critical remark (while slapping my
own fingers):

There is in Oxford a small street named after the Master of Baliol
College, namely Jowett Walk. My recollection is that when ever I heard it
referred to while I was at Oxford the street was pronounced JOW it (as
indeed in How it). I don't want to take up time or space on this,
especially as I have another post on B-Greek still waiting replies (on
PEIRAZW and PEIRAW); but can anyone confirm my recollection?