Re: Priority of LXX for NT meaning

rjd (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Mon, 18 Nov 96 12:20:52 -0500

>From: "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz@mcs.com>
>Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 05:49:40 -0500
>Subject: Re: Priority of LXX for NT meaning
>
>Edwin Hatch, ESSAYKS ON BIBLICAL GREEK (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1889) is
>devoted entirely to this topic. (I think that Hendrickson reprinted this
>not too long ago.) Highly significant!

The recent Hendrickson reprint was, I think, _The Influence of Greek
Ideas and Usages Upon the Christian Church_ (orig. the Hibbert Lectures
for 1888; I picked up an original printing at a garage sale last week for
$1).

The vol. to which Dr. Krentz refers is listed in Lib. of Congress as:

Author: Hatch, Edwin, 1835-1889.
Title: Essays in biblical Greek; studies on the value and use
of the Septuagint, on the meanings of words and
psychological terms in Biblical Greek, on quotations
from the Septuagint, on Origen's revision of Job,
and on the text of Ecclesiasticus. With an index of
Biblical passages.
Published: Amsterdam, Philo Press, 1970.
LC Call No.: BS744 .H35 1970
Dewey No.: 220.4/8
ISBN: 9060220315
Notes: Reprint of the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1889 ed.
Subjects: Bible. -- O.T. -- Greek -- Versions -- Septuagint.
Greek language, Biblical.
Control No.: 75508251 //r86

Does anyone know if this is available as a reprint anywhere? (Amazon.com
does not list it, nor does last year's Books in Print.) If not, maybe
James Ernest ought to pass along a recom. to Hendrickson in light of Dr.
Krentz's rating of "Highly significant!"

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Asst. Prof./NT Baptist Bible Seminary
rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit, PA