Re: ERXOMAI hIERWi

Sat, 14 Dec 1996 08:15:09 -0600

At 8:27 PM -0600 12/13/96, Don Wilkins wrote:
>At 9:04 AM 12/12/96, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>>
>>. . . you have to use an accusative with PROS or EIS with ERXOMAI. ERXOMAI
>>hIERWi, if it means anything, could only mean "I go FOR a sanctuary."
>
>I completely agree with you in principle, Carl, for what that's worth.
>However, I have a bad feeling that I *have* seen the dative for direction,
>and even a worse feeling that I saw it recently in the Republic, perhaps
>book 5 or 6 (I recently taught through the cave allegory). I hope I'm
>wrong, and am optimistic that I misread something.

Why is it that agreements in principle, especially when they are complete,
appear so unprincipled? ;-) I don't KNOW that you're wrong, Don, but I'm
optimistic too! All I can say (in the aoristic present tense [? ;-)] is,
"I'm from Missouri, and you're going to have to SHOW ME." Maybe I'll go
immerse myself in the Cave and Figure of the Divided Line, (after making up
an exam and reading a few more term papers).

(314) 935-4018