Re: Luke 2:14

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:45:36 -0500

At 05:21 PM 12/27/96 EST, KULIKOVSKY, Andrew wrote:
>Fellow Greeks,
>
>DOXA EN UYISTOIS QEW KAI EPI GHS EIRHNH EN
>ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS. (GNT)
>
>Glory to God in the highest,
> and on earth peace to men on whom his favour rests.
>(NIV)
>
>My brother (who is a lurker on this list - Hi Mark!) suggested
>that this verse is poorly translated in the KJV and also in
>modern translations. The KJV stuff up comes from a textual
>variant, but if we accept the text in UBS GNT it could be
>parsed a couple of different ways.

In quite a few ways, as a matter of fact. I raised this question in
November, which resulted in a long string of messages with the title "en
uyistois qew, en anqrwpois eudokias". You can find them in the archives
under November 1996, or search for "uyistois".

>Now the bit in question is how you take the clause EPI GHS
>which is surely a genitive of place.
>Does it belong with the EN UYISTOIS, being joined by KAI
>resulting in the translation?:
>
>Glory to God in the highest AND on earth,
> peace to men on whom his favour rests.
>
>This seems awkward to me. The KAI seems to act as the
>connector between the 2 clauses, rather than joining the
>genitive phrase to the first clause.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, so we now know which interpretation
is most widely accepted among software engineers ;->

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com