Re: MONOGENHS

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 03 Jan 1997 13:13:58 -0500

At 10:43 AM 1/3/97 -0800, Luke McNab wrote:
>two words, MONOS,and GENOS. The difference between ONLY BEGOTTEN SON and
>ONE AND ONLY SON seems, IMHO, to be the fact that the idea of BEGOTTEN
>is implied in GENOS so the former rather than the latter translation is
>a more accurate rendition. After all Christ always was the one and only
>Son of the Father. He was BEGOTTEN in his human birth.

Carl wrote a message discussing the usage of MONOGENHS, saying that it means
ONE AND ONLY in the rest of Greek literature. Since both messages arrived
about the same time, I don't know if you had a chance to see it.

In general, I think that usage is a safer guide to the meaning of words than
derivation. Pineapple is composed of two words, "pine" and "apple"...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com