Re: EKAQEUDEN: Is Perseus wrong?

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 21:34:51 -0500

At 08:44 PM 1/11/97 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
Carl Conrad wrote:
>>Yes, I suspect that, and in fact, I know that BAGD is inadequate for
>>reading LXX unless the LXX word recurs in the NT. I remember hunting for
>>some words in the Genesis Joseph narrative in BAGD and not finding them
>>there or in LSJ--I ultimately found them in the Sophocles Byzantine
>>lexicon. hREGKW is not that uncommon (at least not any more than people
>>snoring at night!).
>
>Sigh.
>
>Do you Greek scholars get kickbacks from the publishers every time we little
>Greeks go out and buy another book? I thought this would be a cheaper hobby
>than it has been!
>
>OK, since I really *do* intend to read more in the Septuagint, I'm going to
>need something to help me. Would I be better off getting a specialized
>Septuagint lexicon, or does LSJ have everything I need? I'll probably read
>at least some classical Greek, too, as my Greek improves.
>
>If LSJ would do the job, would the old version be adequate?
>
>And is anybody out there willing to sell their old LSJ cheap after upgrading
>to the latest release?

Seems to me I recall seeing that ABS has begun to publish a
Greek-English lexicon to the LXX. Does anyone who has used it have any
comments on its usefulness?

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish District
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God