Re: b-greek font & transliteration standards?

Paul Zellmer (pzellmer@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 18:32:26 -0800

Mike Adams wrote:

> I think Paul's on to something here!
> If he's using a freebie font, couldn't we all just download it and use in
> addition to (but not instead of) the customary transliteration scheme.
>
> About once a month newbies ask about our transliteration scheme, and some
> gracious soul always ends up posting the necessary facts. The information
> on the fonts could be an addendum to that standard post.
>
> And for the web-wise, it could, of course appear in the archives ever so
> properly linked for easy downloading.
>
> It sure would be neat....easier on the eyes.
> Think how lovely it would be, just like having the secret decoder ring that
> once came came free in the specially marked box of Cheerios!
>
> Ellen
Ellen,

There's just one problem. A number of us use services like Juno, which
do not support the fonts. The corresponding keys which do show up are
not as clear as the rough transliteration scheme that the list currently
uses.

If you want an idea of what it looks like, take a look at the digests
that include Paul's original posting. The characters just do not come
through; and, while I guess we could insist that these poor unfortunate
folk who want to save monthly server cost have to pay the price by
learning a new "alphabet", I for one do not think that that is a very
considerate thing to do.

I know the frustration that we are trying to address. I often grab the
Greek text and look up the phrase or passage under discussion rather
than try to decode the transliteration. I just don't think we should
exclude one segment of our list because it is possible for another to
have a more elegant product.

Peace,

Paul Zellmer
Southern Methodist Missions