Re: Aquila of Pontus' Greek OT

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:47:45 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Andrew Bromage wrote:

> G'day all.
>
> I was leafing through the preface to the New Jerusalem Bible and came
> across this abbreviation:
>
> Aq. Aquila of Pontus, and the Greek text of the Old
> Testament according to his recension, early second
> century AD.
>
> I assume this is the same AKULA from Acts 18:2 etc.
>
> I hadn't heard of this text before. Does anyone know the story behind
> it, references I could look up or maybe even if the text is available?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew Bromage
No it is not the same Aquila of Acts (who would have to be well over
100 years old to make such a translation), but a (at least) 2nd cent. C.E.
translator of the Hebrew Scriptures. And good bible dictionary (consult
IDB, ISBE) will have something on this figure in their articles on either
the LXX or "Versions". Also, a standard intro to Aq. is Swete's work on
the Bible In Greek.