Re: Ephesians 2:1 - KAI *hUMAS*

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 09:31:07 -0500

At 06:58 AM 1/24/97 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>OK, I'm moving on to the next chapter! In Ephesians 2:1, hUMAS is accusative:
>
>Eph 2:1 (GNT) KAI hUMAS ONTAS NEKROUS TOIS PARAPTWMASIN KAI TAIS hAMARTIAIS
>hUMWN
>
>What is the force of this accusative? Is it an accusative of respect?
>Wallace claims that the accusative of respect "is rare enough in the NT that
>this should be employed as a last resort--that is, only after other
>categories are exhausted," but I don't see what else it could be.

It looks like a dangling accusative (not that there is any formal
category by that name). Paul (I take him for the author) begins the
sentence with the idea that those who were dead in Christ have been raised
up to life in Him, but he doesn't complete the idea until v. 5 where he
restates it as KAI ONTAS hEMAS NEKROUS TOIS PARAPTWMASIN SUNEZWOPOIHSEN TWi
CRISTWi.... What intervenes is a description of the dead state of those who
are without Christ (vv. 2, 3) and an explanation of the agency of the mercy
and love of God (v. 4) in the vivification of believers. When Paul finally
gets around to the action for which the accusative hUMAS (v. 1) is referent,
he restates the accusative pronoun in the 1st-person singular: KAI ONTAS
hHMAS... all of this constitutes a grammatical anomaly but is, nevertheless,
understandable.

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish District
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God