Re: Eph 2:15 - EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON POIWN *EIRHNHN*

Paul Zellmer (pzellmer@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:37:41 -0500

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Somebody must have stuck EIRHNHN in here just to confuse little Greeks like
> me. If I leave the word out, I can parse the sentence just fine, but if I
> put it back in, I have no idea where it fits in with the rest of the sentence.
>
> "Who shall free me from this body of syntax?"
>
> Jonathan

> Jonathan Robie
> POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703
> Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
> email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com
> http://www.poet.com <--- shockwave enabled!

Jonathan,

I assume that you are trying to connect the POIWN with the prepositional
(EIS) phrase. Try letting the EIS phrase be the result of KTISHi and
picture a minor break, a comma, if you will, before a parallel clause,
POIWN EIRHNHN. Does this make more sense now?

I guess Paul could have written: hINA POIWN EIRHNHN TOUS DUO KTISHi EN
AUTWi EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON. This probably would have meant the
same, at least on the surface. My guess is the relative importance of
the parts would have changed, but that's another can of worms.

Paul