Re: Gal 6:8. . .

Tue, 4 Feb 1997 05:14:53 -0600

At 2:16 AM -0600 2/4/97, Tom Launder wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a question concerning Gal 6:8
>
>"O SPEIRWN EIS ThN SARKA"
>
>I am wondering how to classify the usage of "eis" here. My best
>understanding is the "eis" is functioning as "with reference to." My
>problem is that I keep wondering if this couldn't also be understood as
>instrumental. I have read that that the "eis" can substitute for "en"
>and "en" can be used instrumentally. This is only a thought, but I
>would like some feedback please.

I think you're making this more complicated than it is. SPEIRW and QERIZW
here are obviously metaphors, but the usage of EIS and EK in this verse
reflect the reality of earthly sowing and reaping that are their analogues:
one sowing puts the seed INTO the ground and one reaping draws the crop OUT
OF the ground; the same prepositions are applied to spiritual sowing and
reaping.

(314) 935-4018