Re: Mark 1:19 kai *autous* en tw ploiw - attraction?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 23:13:26 -0500

At 09:52 PM 2/7/97 -0600, Carl William Conrad wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Mark 1:19 (GNT) Kai probas oligon eiden Iakwbon ton tou Zebedaiou kai
> Iwannhn ton adelfon autou kai *autous* en tw ploiw katartizontas ta diktua
>
>> I remember a discussion of attraction of the pronoun earlier - is that what
>> I'm looking at here?
>
>No, not really--this is repetition of the immediately preceding objects of
>EIDEN (IAKWBON ... KAI IWANNHN) followed by an emphatic AUTOUS emphasized
>further by an adverbial KAI: " ... saw James ... & John, them also in the
>boat ..." I would undestand this KAI AUTOUS as clarifying that Jesus
>encountered James and John on the coastline and on a boat just as he had
>previously encountered Simon and Andrew. By this accounting, AUTOUS is in
>apposition to the proper noun objects.

Hmmm...I'm glad I asked. I would have missed the significance of that KAI
AUTOUS completely. Now suppose I change the AUTOUS to AUTOI:

Mark 1:19 (GNT) Kai probas oligon eiden Iakwbon ton tou Zebedaiou kai
Iwannhn ton adelfon autou kai *autoi* en tw ploiw katartizontas ta diktua

In this case, it is still grammatical, but the KAI is not adverbial, right?

>An alternative way of reading it is to take AUTOUS as the subject of the
>participle KATARTIZONTAS; since a verb o perception takes indirect
>discourse with a participle rather than with an infinitive you can
>understand this as "... saw James ... & John and that they were mending
>... "

Whoa! You just sent me off to the books again...this is advanced calculus
for me. I don't think I've ever run into this before.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com