Re: GRAFH

Paul F. Evans (evans@mail.gld.com)
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 09:19:22 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BC15A1.2B55EA20

Edgar and B-Greek List:

Edgar wrote:

Date: Thursday, February 06, 1997 10:19 PM

> At this point I will only
> say as as teaser that whether one accepts it as Pauline and dates it in
the
> sixties or whether one dates it as I do (one personal reaction thought I
> was too conservative in dating in as early as I did!), it involves a form
> of circular reasoning from text to historical reconstruction and back to
> see if the historical reconstruction illuminates the text. That
> characerizes ALL opinions about historical reconstructions, whether
> "consdrvative" or not.

You may or may not remember my earlier question and comments with respect
to this thread. I asked whether the interpretation of the text that places
ESTI in the text to imply that "All scripture that is inspired is...," did
not involve circular reasoning. However, my original question still stands
partially unanswered; what are the objective grammatical reasons for
placing the ESTI in the various locations suggested. Carl came closest with
his obeservatins about theological presuppositions early on, and a few
comments he made later. May be those who advocate the various positions
could provide there reasons, without the historical considerations. If it
turns out there are none apart from the hsitorical considerations then we
have a totally different "can or worms" for Jonathans next fishing trip.

I would like to here an appraisal of why the conservative position also
involves cicular reasoning to some degree. I have personally accepted that
view of the text without being aware that it involves historical
considerations in regards to the text. I guess I have acted more upon
assumption than anything else.

Paul F. Evans
Pastor
Thunder Swamp Pentecostal Holiness Church
Mount Olive, NC

"Endeavouring to make use of NT Greek in a real life ministry!"

Date: Thursday, February 06, 1997 10:19 PM