Re: 1 Co 6:9 -- malakoi & arsenokoitai

Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 09:05:56 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Steven L. wrote:

> I am involved in a discussion about whether homosexuality is sinful or not.
> And I was wondering if anyone could help me with these two words:
>
> malakoi
> arsenokoitai
>
> Some translations have "malakoi" as "effeminate" and some have it as "male
> prostitutes".
>
> Likewise, for "arsenokoitai" some translations have "homosexuals" and some
> have "sodomites".
>
> The RSV only has the one item "sexual perverts".
>
> Could you tell me what's going on here. Thanks.

There are two very long strings on this matter in the archives that should
be checked at the web site. I would hope we might avoid another lengthy
string on this--I think there are even plenty of flames in those archives,
quite enough to suit people who have very heated opinions on the matter.

(314) 935-4018