Re: AGAPW, FILW: etymologies - Was: What language(s) did Je

Walt McFall (ana@net1.nw.com.au)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:15:34 +0000

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 02:00:26 -0200 (GMT)
> From: Isidoros <ioniccentre@hol.gr>

Hi Isidoros,

Thought that I'd let you know that you really shouldn't CC a post
to me that you also send to the list. Since I'm on the List... if you
post to the List - I _will_ get it. : - ]

> >Just a note here. I have often heard many (well intentioned)
> >preachers claim that the word AGAPh *really* means a
> >"God-type of Love". This makes me cringe...

> Dear Walt,
> Please, let go of the odontic sphinctiirae. Tightening of teeth has more
> appropriate usages than this.

I wrote that I "cringe"... not "grind my teeth". ; - ]

> >In 2 Sam 13 (LXX) both AGAPAW and AGAPh refer to Amnon's
> >love (which included his incestuous *rape*) of his half sister Tamar !
> >
> >Also, in 2Tim 4:10 Demas forsook Paul because he *loved* (AGAPAW)
> >this present, evil world !

> On the other hand; regarding the first example, to read myth as fact,
<snip>

But I'm sure that you won't mind if there _are_ people on this list
(including myself) who actually take 2 Samuel to be fact rather than
myth.

>Regarding your second example: I'd say, better read 2 Tim 4:10 again.
> DHMAS GAR ME EGKATELIPEN AGAPHSAS TON NYN AIVNA,
> KAI EPOREU8H EIS 8ESSALONIKHN
> (Tip-tip: Paul does not speak "straight" in this passage. <snip>
> Do you read it?!

No... but you're certainly free to do so. I think that Paul is
merely saying "Demas forsook me, having loved the present world".
But again... you're free to impose your own interpretation onto the
meaning of the passage if you wish. : - ]

> >For an interesting look at this topic (specifically regarding the verse
> >you're discussing)... take a look at D.A. Carson's book "Exegetical
> >Fallacies" Baker Books, pp. 31-33 and pp. 51-53 (Word-Study Fallacies).
>
> Oh, fallacies. And fallacies of fallacies, of... (Don't have the book here.
> What does it say? and what do you!

I'm sure that you can order it through your local bookstore if you're
interested... and I've just given you my thoughts. : - ]

Semper Fi,

Walt McFall
ana@net1.nw.com.au
CHESTY PULLER, USMC
(When surrounded by Eight
Divisions of enemy forces...)

"All right men...
they're on our left, they're on our right,
they're in front of us, they're behind us...
THEY CAN'T GET AWAY THIS TIME!!!"