Re: Synonyms (???) in John

Kevin and Sandi Anderson (crossroads@sprynet.com)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:29:25 -0800

Because of the other synonymous vocabulary you have yourself noted, I have
also come to the conclusion that the verbs AGAPAW and PHILEW are used
virtually interchangeably in John. What's more, however, is the fact that
trying to draw fine distinctions between the vocabulary in John 21:15ff
stumbles over the importance of the repetition in the passage. The
climactic moment comes when it is said that Peter was grieved that Jesus
had questioned his love "a third time"--most important in light of Peter's
thrice denial of Jesus.

Yes, I think the variation in vocabulary is stylistic. It is an elegant
touch even for so elementary a writer as the fourth evangelist.

Kevin Anderson
GTU Area 1 Ph.D. student