Re: Romans 7:10 - KAI EUREQH MOI

Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:11:32 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> AUTH picks up as an intensive pronoun hH ENTOLH making this rhetorical
> sequence very powerful. The effect, it seems to me, is something like this:
> " ... and I died, and I came to realize that the commandment intended to
> bring me into life--this very commandment was bringing me into death."

Carl and Jonathan (especially),

Do you think that, in light of the fact, stated elsewhere than in
Romans, that the only Sin that Paul feels he has committed (persecuting
the church of Jesus) was as a result of his active zealousness for the
Law, that the expression here about "being brought into death" is
intended to be redolent of the idea of "being brought into DEALING
death"?. Obviously Paul has not died. And it seems to me to be far too
prosaic to see this as a reference to "future death" or to "death" of the
"Old Man".