Re: PROTOTOKOS

Ronald Wong (dogtoy@isgroup.net)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:44:14 -0500

Edgar Gerard Foster wrote:

> This is my first time writing to B-Greek, but I have enjoyed perusing the
> many letters I receive daily. I am a non-Trinitarian Christian, who is
> presently studying for my liberal arts degree. I hope to use my schooling in
> the historical, educational field. (preferably philosophy or history) At any
> rate; my question is: Can anyone tell me whether any *modern* scholars,
> besides Thayer, propose that PROTOTOKOS--as used in Col. 1:15--could
> connote, or denote _'first-created'_? I know that Col. 1:15 has been
> discussed before here, but looking at the archives didn't help much with my
> question.
>
> Much Thanks,
>
> Edgar Foster
> Liberal Arts Major
>
> Fosclean@aol.com
> fos@bluenet.net
> Edgar G. Foster

Edgar....
I'm not sure that Thayer indicates the 'first-created' definition in Col
1:15 ". . . this passage does not with certainty prove that Paul
reckoned the LOGOS in the number of created beings." p.555

I don't know the position of the following..but Rienecker list them as
important to understanding the meaning of the word:

Lohse, Eduard. in Hermenenia. A Critical and Historical Commentary on
the Bible: Colossians and Philemon. (Philadelphia:Fortress Press, 1976.

Lightfoot, J.B. St. Paul's Epistle to the Colossians and Philemon.
(Grand Rapids:Zondervan) 1956.

Abbott, T. K. A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Epistles to
the Ephesians and the Colossians. The International Critical
Commentary. (Edinburgh: T&T Clark) 1956.

Moule, C. F. D. The Epistles to the Colossians and to Philemon. The
Cambridge Greek Testament Commentary (Cambridge: UP) 1958.

Martin, R. P. Colossians: The Church's Lord and the Christian's Liberty
(Grand Rapids:Zondervan, 1973).

Davies, W. D. Paul and Rabbinic Judaism: Some Rabbinic Elements in
Pauline Theology. (London:SPCK) 1965. 150f.

et al...these are prominent and recognized scholars in both the Greek
and Theological disciplines...

I hope this may help with the meaning of the word.

Ronald Wong,
O'Brien, FL.