Re: PROTOTOKOS

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:14:18 -0500

Edgar Gerard Foster (fos@bluenet.net) wrote:

> This is my first time writing to B-Greek, but I have enjoyed perusing the
> many letters I receive daily. I am a non-Trinitarian Christian, who is
> presently studying for my liberal arts degree. I hope to use my schooling in
> the historical, educational field. (preferably philosophy or history) At any
> rate; my question is: Can anyone tell me whether any *modern* scholars,
> besides Thayer, propose that PROTOTOKOS--as used in Col. 1:15--could
> connote, or denote _'first-created'_? I know that Col. 1:15 has been
> discussed before here, but looking at the archives didn't help much with my
> question.

Perseus has LSJ online. The meaning it gives for PRWTOTOKOS is "first-born":

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?entry=prwto/tokos

If you are reading this in the archives, you may need to copy the whole
URL to go to it; sometimes URLs with funny characters don't convert
completely in hypermail.

For other uses of this word in the GNT, see Luke 2:7, Romans 8:29,
Col 1:18, Hebr 1:6, Hebr 11:28, Hebr 12:23, and Revelations 1:5.

Note that PRWTOTOKOS is closely related to the term PRWTOTOKIA,
which means birth-right.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728