Re: The mystery of verb voice (was ACTS 10:40)

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:15:07 -0500

At 12:49 PM 2/26/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> Everybody (some people, at least?) know what that means: verbs
> that have -QH- in them but aren't passive at all, verbs like BOULOMAI have
> an aorist EBOULHQHN. Don't let anybody tell you that this was ever deemed
> passive by anybody. It's what I call a "third aorist," i.e. an athematic
> aorist with a long-vowel stem in a class that developed almost
> exponentially its -QH- forms for use to express the passive notion, but
> which had already been used for numerous verbs that never did have any
> passive sense, like BOULOMAI.

I'm glad I asked. The third aorist discussion was way over my head at the
time, and now I know what it is. I'll add this to my crib notes as a
refinement of the first case.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie