Re: LOGOS vs RHMA

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Thu, 27 Feb 97 10:08:52 EST

> From: William Dicks <wd@isis.co.za>
> Subject: LOGOS vs RHMA
>
> Hi all b-greekers,
> I have been off this list now for several months and intend to get back
> onto it again. We have all heard of the so-called preacher Greek. My
> question is: what do you guys think of the popular usage of RHMA(trans?) as
> opposed to LOGOS? The popular usage of preachers is that LOGOS refers to the
> written word whereas RHMA refers to the spoken word.

IMO, a LOGOS tends to be more formal than a hRHMA. LOGOS indicates
something thought out, organized, or emphatic, such as a 'statement',
a 'declaration', an 'accounting' (Luke 16.2), a 'discourse' (Luke 10.39),
or a 'speech' (Acts 20.7). hRHMA seems to refer more casually to
an 'utterance,' 'phrase,' 'expression,' or just 'a thing said.' For
hRHMA, 'word' is often a good approximation; for LOGOS, seldom (IMO).

Regards,
Jim V.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."