Subject: sign, sense, concept, and reference
Author: Jonathan Robie <jwrobie@mindspring.com> at SMTP-PO
Date: 2/27/97 8:46 AM

Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no) wrote:

> When translating I often use a trapeza with SIGN, SENSE, CONCEPT
> and REFERENCE representing each corner to `map` the word.
> Example: Messiah, SIGN (void of meaning) m-e-s-s-i a-h,
> SENSE: the one smeared with oil, CONCEPT: annointed to be
> king or priest, and REFERENCE: a particular king or priest
> or `the coming one`. Such a mapping helps me to realize what
> I am doing and why.

Where does this model come from? It sounds very useful! Let me see if I
understand it correctly:

SIGN: This is the word itself, right? And the form it takes depends on
whether you have oral presentation or written - these would be different signs?
SENSE: Is this equivalent to the senses in dictionaries, or the senses in
Louw and Nida?
CONCEPT: Is there a formal definition of this?
REFERENCE: This is one instance of a particular type in your example. That
makes sense for nouns. How does REFERENCE work for other kinds of words?

Thanks!

Jonathan