Re: Romans 1:17 EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:01:26 -0500

Carl Conrad wrote:

>I don't think I need to go any further with this, inasmuch as there are
>numerous distinct theological interpretations of what PISTIS IHSOU CRISTOU
>as an objective genitive means. But there, at any rate, is a stab: that
>this PISTIS of EK PISTEWS is a "subjective" PISTIS IHSOU CRISTOU while the
>PISTIS of EIS PISTIN is an "objective" PISTIS IHSOU CRISTOU.

Hmmm...but what linguistic clues are there to know that the two phrases are
to be treated differently? Depending on my theology, I could use the
faith/faithfulness and subjective/objective to come up with lots of
interesting things:

"from (our) faith to (our) faithfulness" - the Galatian heresy, accepting
Christ by faith, and then moving on to basing our belief in our own efforts

"from (our) faithfulness to (our) faith" - getting away from the law and
turning to grace

"from (God's) faithfulness to (our) faith" - our faith as a response to
God's faithfulness

"from (our) faith to (God's) faithfulness" - name it and claim it

I think that this kind of approach is too flexible for me...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com