Re: Grammatical query

Perry Wiles (pwiles@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 20:19:22 +1100

Ronald Ross wrote:

> Infinitives with accusative subjects are common enough in a lot of
> languages (even in English). But today I came across the following in
> Acts 4.13:
>
> EPEGINWSKON TE _AUTOUS_ hOTI SUN TWi IHSOU _HSAN_
>
> Here the accusative subject AUTOUS is construed with the FINITE verb
> HSAN.
I think AUTOUS here functions as the direct object of EPEGINWSKWN (and
hence is accusative) and not as the subject of the hOTI clause (although
of course the referent of AUTOUS is the same as the unexpressed subject
of the hOTI clause ie the two apostles). The hOTI clause is epexegetical
- filling out the content of the Council's knowledge of the apostles.

Regards

Perry Wiles
Moore Theological College
Sydney, Australia