Re: Dative in John 4:23

Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:33:31 -0800

Re: Dative in John 4:23

At 6:25 AM -0600 3/11/97, Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:
>IN John 4:23 we find the following:
>
>OTE OI ALHQINOI PROSKUNHTAI PROSKUNHSOUSIN TW PATRI EN PNEUMATI KAI
>ALHQEIA
>
>"when the true worshipper will worship the Father in spirit and truth"
>
>Now, the question I have is what kind of dative is EN PNEUMATI KAI
>ALHQEIA? How should I understand the KAI? Should I take this as two
>separate datives, EN PNEUMATI and ALHQEIA, which are linked by KAI?
>
>My gut feeling is that these are instrumental datives of manner. Brooks

>and Winbery call it an Instrumental of Manner. I also checked Moule and

>Zerwick but didn't find much help.
>
>Assuming, it is an instrumental of manner and that this is one compound

>dative, my translations would be:
>
>"when the true worshipers will worship the father spiritually and
>truthfully"

Is there any significance to the fact that in 4:20 ff. the woman and
Jesus say: "hOI PATERES hHMWN <EN TWi OREI TOUTWi> PROSKUNHSAN ...
hUMEIS LEGETE hOTI <EN IEROSOLUMOIS>> ESTIN hO TOPOS ... LEGEI AUTHi hO
IHSOUS ... OUTE <EN TWi OREI TOUTWi> OUTE <EN IEROSOLUMOIS> PROSKUNHSETE
TWi PATER.

I.e., does this immediately preceding and contextually-related usage of
EN as a place or perhaps sphere where one is to worship influence the
interpretation of the EN in EN PNEUMATI KAI ALHQEIA?