Re: Pronoun Emphasis

Ronald Wong (dogtoy@isgroup.net)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:07:02 -0500

I certain agree that the construction is strange...yet, I believe that
there is a historical purpose that Jesus and the way John recorded it to
mean "I, I am." There is an OT pararallel. When Moses was sent back to
the hebrews in Egypt, he asked the question: "If they ask who sent me,
whom should I say?" and it says that God answered "I am."
I think it would be possible to say that John and Jesus are emphasizing
(if I can be allowed to use the word :) ) Jesus' claim of being God,
which is a major theme in the fourth Gospel.

Ronald Wong
O'Brien, FL.