Re: TLG question

Wed, 12 Mar 1997 07:54:57 -0600

I remember well enough both the joys and the frustrations of having
2-year-olds in the house, but I see that the original question Perry raised
has still not been answered (unless somebody's gotten to it off-list).

At 7:50 AM -0600 3/11/97, Perry L. Stepp wrote:
>I am using the TLG on Macintosh at Baylor (using Pandora, I think(?)--the
>icon name is "Launching Pad"), and have questions for those knowledgeable
>(spelling?) in its use. I am looking for ways Greek authors used
>succession language (DIATIQJMI, APWLEIPW, etc.) This search has
>dissertation implications.
>
>1.) If I enter DIATIQJMI, will the search bring up any and all forms of
>the verb, or will it only bring up PAI-1s? Do I have to enter every form
>for every verb if I want to catch every use?
>
>I've been working under the impression that the above is true--that I
>needed to enter every form. Thus I've been searching for
>fragments--_APWLEIP, _APELIP, etc. (The underscore represents a space at
>the beginning of the entry, which--if I understand the online
>documentation, the only documentation available to me--causes the engine to
>search for fragments BEGINNING with APWLEIP, etc.) Is this the only way to
>do what I'm trying to do?

Yes, and you WILL have to have an entry for each possible stem (_APOLEIP,
_APELEIP, _APOLIP, _APELIP, _APOLELOIP, _APELELOIP {to get the plupfs, if
there are any), _APOLELEI {This will draw in some other verbs, perhaps, but
you won't have to put in each consonant that assimilates to the personal
endings}, _APELELEI, _APOLEIFQH, _APOLEIFQE {for any odd aor. pass. ptcs.).

>2.) Is there a TLG equivalent for the Latin corpus?

Yes, it's the PHI CD ROM 5.3, put out by the Packard Humanities Institute
in Los Altos, CA; it has most classical Latin authors on it, but if you're
looking for the Patristic stuff, I think you have to get that database with
Migne's Patrologie Latine on it, which is sky-high in price for the
license. PHI has a web site, I think, but I don't have the URL handy.

(314) 935-4018