Re: Ambiguity in John 12:31?

Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:51:02 -0800 (PST)

At 1:01 PM -0600 3/25/97, Martin A. Childs wrote about John 12:31:

>But looking at 31 : [nun krisis estin tou kosmou] I am unable to discern
>who is rendering the judgment.
>
>In other words, should it be "judgment BY this world" or "judgment UPON
>this world" or is it ambiguous?

Of course we can't answer this question of GRAMMATICAL grounds, since both
readings are possible. The question is, which reading is best supported by
the context. I have always understood NUN KRISIS ESTIN TOU KOSMOU TOUTOU in
this verse to mean judgment UPON this world (taking TOU KOSMOU TOUTOU as
objective genitive), but that doesn't mean that this is the only or even
the best choice. What support would you see for reading it as subjective
(judgment BY this world)?

Micheal W. Palmer
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College