Re: I Peter 2:8-10

Lee R. Martin (lmartin@voyageronline.net)
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 00:10:13 -0800

JMCGRANAHAN@trevecca.edu wrote:

> I Peter 2:8-10
>
> verse 8
> and
> a stone of stumbling
> and a rock that causes stumbling;

Dear Jamen, Since you have not gotten any responses, I will give my
opinion. Your concerns seem to be rather elementary, and you should
learn to use some good resources for the basics. Nevertheless, here
goes:

Since the Greek uses two different words for "stumbling," I would also
use two different terms. Maybe, "a stone that causes them to stumble,
even a rock that they trip over."

> so that they stumble by the word to that which they were appointed.

Your words "so that" imply result, but the Greek text has no conjunction
here. The nominative is appositional. Because the participle
APEIQOUNTES is nom. pl. in agreement with the rel. pronoun, I would
translate :"Who, being disobedient, stumble at the word."

> verse 9
> But you (are) a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people
> in possession, in order that you should proclaim the goodness of the goals
> you yourselves called into his wonderful light;

Your phrase "a people in possession," while it is accurate, is not very
good English. Check the translations for a better choice of words.
I do not know how you got "goals" in here. The Greek says "so that you
might declare the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness
into his marvelous light."

> verse 10
> That which once (was) not a people

I would not use "that which." The relative pronoun here refers back to
"you" of the previous verses. I would say, "You who once were not a
people, but now are the people of God, who had not received mercy but
now have received mercy."

--
Lee R. Martin
Adjunct Faculty in Old Testament and Hebrew